Saturday, August 20, 2016

Amishland

   I was very excited when Aunt Paula told us at breakfast on Saturday (August 13th) that we were going to Middlefield, the town where all the Amish people live. It's the 4th largest Amish community in the United States. Wikipedia says, "The greatest concentration of Amish is in Holmes and adjoining counties in northeast Ohio, about 100 miles from Pittsburgh. Next in size is a group of Amish people in Elkhart and surrounding counties in northeastern Indiana. Then comes the Amish settlement in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania." As of last year, only 75 Amish people live in Florida- probably all in Sarasota. I told my family I had to change outfits to get in the mode for the day. I brought the cream dress for that day- the same one I wore when Michael took me to the Pioneer Village in May last year.
   Since we had gone to Middlefield last time we visited (in May 2011, after my wedding, but before we started filming Blood Widow. We drove that time and I remember Virginia being very pretty, but it took us 2 days to get there!), I let Jordyn take a lot of pictures on my Canon. I'll post those next, but here are the ones I took. One man used a futon to make a soft couch as the seat in his wagon. I got a really good picture last time that my cousin Lindsey took of me looking very excited while two Amish girls in blue dresses ate ice cream cones in the back corner of the room. Michael still has that picture in his wallet, ha!
   After visiting the Walmart where they have horse and buggy parking, we went into the fudge shop. It was funny giving Jordyn one of the chocolate coffee beans she asked to try, then her disgusted face, and the quick "Eww" she expressed. Uncle Larry asked an employee about a flyer that was hanging up that advertised a cook out at a church. We went there for lunch and shared ribs and chicken with rolls, potato salad and beans. 
   We left Middleton and drove to Geneva to find a Catholic church since we knew we wouldn't be able to make it to a local Sunday service as were leaving early the next morning to go to Niagara Falls!! We made it to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary as it started to rain. Aunt Paula really liked the priest because he looked so happy the whole time. The flower photo was taken outside of the church. Then for dinner we went to DeBonne Vineyard. There was a piece of glass on the floor by the bar where you could see the wine being made.
   The vegetarian pizza that Jessica and I shared was very good. As well as the popcorn that everyone kept grabbing handfuls of. It was a nice family dinner and I had some very good, comforting talks with Jessica since I rode back to the house with her.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy week. Glad you got to take some naps, and that you had some quality talk-time with Jessica. -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could've been there! Looks like lots of fun! Lots of good information about Amish populous! Hopefully we can have some fun day trips soon! Peyton keeps looking through her aunt Rachee book- I think she misses you or she says it needs to be updated 😉

    ReplyDelete