Saturday, November 14, 2015

Saint Augustine, FL

On Tuesday I had the whole day off (meaning I was able to go to sleep early -2am- the night before so I could get up at a normal human hour -9am), so we went to St. Augustine. I went there with my mom, sister-in-law Jacquie, and her daughter Peyton. I thought it was interesting, so I wanted Michael to come with me and look around too. Here are my favorite pictures from that day:
Last time I did not go into the school house area (the oldest wooden school house in the United States!) because it was five dollars and did not want to spend the money or have them wait for me while I looked around. But I went this time and Michael checked out a few shops while I was taking these pictures:
I learned that school was 12 and 1/2 cents per day. If the parents didn't have the money to pay, then the child had to bring in firewood or food for the teacher and his wife. The teacher and his wife lived upstairs, and the children who misbehaved had to sit in a closet under the stairs as punishment.
For lunch we ate at Henley's. I decided on that place since I didn't want to go where we ate last time, which was Bunnery Cafe. It was good and the sandwiches were good portions, but I wanted to try a new place. I had gotten a good tuna melt sample early this day, so we went back about an hour later when we got hungry.
Michael enjoyed looking in the different shops and I ended up buying a few Christmas presents in a store called "Materialistic". We walked towards the bridge that goes over the water towards the beaches, but did not go to the beaches that day. There was a putt putt golf area, but nobody was playing when we walked by. We stayed there for a few minutes so Michael could look at the boats and yachts, then walked around the Fort (Abbey?) since it cost money to go inside and we were on a budget.
The last place I wanted to go in was a shop with very pretty Nativity sets in the window. We had to go down a short alley into a garden area, then through the door which was at the back of the building. After we looked at the various items for sale, the cashier told us that we could go through the chapel connected to the store and look around, so we did. It was very quiet. Michael didn't like it.
For dessert Michael got a caramel apple with pecans and white chocolate. I got a milkshake from Chick-Fil-A on the way home since that was cheaper than getting ice cream there. Last time I got a turtle cheesecake waffle cone that Jacquie paid for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment