Sunday, October 4, 2020

Craft Room Makeover

    Michael had often told me how boring I had the scrapbook room looking (and when my friend, Alex, came to our house last Thanksgiving, she even asked why the walls weren't painted), but on Pinterest my favorite minimalist rooms all have plain white walls with little decoration. However, it never looked how I really wanted it to because the scrapbook room also doubled as the guest bedroom (using the blow up mattress) on the few occasions each year we have someone sleep over, and the rest of the time it served as the junk room. All of Emma's bigger toys or overflow of toys that wouldn't fit in the hall closet or ones that are not kept in her tent area to play with daily, as well as boxes of diapers and extra medicine were kept in my scrapbook room.

Here are some photos of my dream scrapbook office/ guest bedroom:


  I called it MY scrapbook room because Michael also has his own room: the makeup room, which he started calling the printing room, as he had two 3D printers, a Silhouette Cameo foil printer, and a regular Brother printer with special ink. Yet, that wasn't enough for him and his two large desks took up a lot of the room. He decided that he also needed space for a new sewing machine he really wanted to buy and the only place to put it (it comes attached with a table) was in the scrapbook room. With his skill of selling points, he persuaded me to let him redo the whole room, so half was for his sewing area and I would still get half for scrapbook supplies. And honestly, when I do make scrapbook items, I always bring the materials out into the living room so I can be watching Emma at the same time. So did I really need that whole space to myself, even if it is the smallest "bedroom" in the house? I guess not. 

   Here are the combined Before and After photos:





  I will admit I did not like it much at first, but now I think it looks really good. When Michael first showed it to me, he hadn't put any of my scrapbook stuff in, so in that moment it looked like another room just for him and I had nothing. No part of the house that was decorated by me, aside from my small bathroom, and the one coral ombre wall in Emma's room that started out as the scrapbook room. Can you tell I was pretty bitter and upset about it. Going back and forth between being selfish and trying to let it go, but also was not a fan of the makeover price tag. However, Michael did a really great job fitting and decorating all of my stuff back into the room and closet, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the piece of furniture with the lamp on it displays my items as well. I thought that would be to hold more of his sewing stuff, but I guess little bobbins of thread don't take up much space. 

Also, if you click this link of maternity photos, at the end of the post, it shows what the room looked like the first time we painted it when it was planned to be Emma's room. Small baby gets the small room, right? ;) But she only stayed in there from May 2018 when she came home from the NICU to the end of September that year since we had not counted on her having so many medical supplies and equipment that heated up the room. So we switched her to the second biggest room in the back of the house, which started as my scrapbook room and guest bedroom where I kept the blow up mattress inflated, dressed with pillows and sheets. 

Other links: Starting to paint it  >>   Fan replacement  >> Nursery details  >>  Closet remodel  >>  quick photos of the house once it was "all done"  Note: when owning a house... it will never be done. Although I strongly dislike paying the amount of money for Michael to do these projects, or to get trees cut down, and the yard re-landscaped and new mulch put down every year, it sure does make our house look fancy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment