Sunday, July 31, 2016

Good Vibes

** Disclaimer, I am not a vegan. Except on the days that I binge on edamame. 

After breakfast with Grandpa on Saturday morning, then Dudley Farms -and a second shower!!- that afternoon, my mom went with me to a lunch spot I found on Yelp called "One Love Cafe". I liked it a lot. Yummy sounding choices with meat, vegetarian and vegan choices. The music (when the live band was playing) got loud, but next time we'll have to sit a little further away. Its interesting how different environments can temporarily change our personalities. Or maybe that's just me? 

I've been thinking a lot lately about how much time we spend trying to make ourselves look good (according to our own standards- I wasted a good 20 minutes putting make up on for Peyton's baptism this morning) when our friends and family and husbands don't really care if we wear make up or not. Sometimes Michael suggests that I brush my hair before we go out to eat (ha!) but he tells me that I look really pretty even when I don't have make up on. And I've noticed that I get pimples less when I don't wear it. Plus I think it's my wonderfully straight smile that makes my whole face look nice. (Yay braces!) Happy people automatically look prettier. I have a lot of thoughts about wanting to be vegan simply for the cliche things that I feel it comes with- yoga, comfortable clothes, confidence, easy-breezy personalities, very go with the flow as Michael wants me to be. Full of the sunshine they breathe in by exploring the earth we live on. I want to feel awesome and proud of what I put in my body. "I feel awesome after eating those McDonald's chicken nuggets!" said no one ever. I want Michael to be healthy and excited when I cook for him. But I'm also lazy and get stressed out quickly about less important things. 

I heard that we need to treat our bodies as an investment. "Why should we waste time eating fruit and vegetables?" Because then we will live longer and be healthier in 30 years. We don't think too much about that in our 20s, but we may regrets it in our 50's when the side effects catch up to us. I have time to improve. And any day I do eat really healthy is a time I am excited to remember and repeat. The day after my birthday last month, when Mia celebrated with me, was such a great day!! A vegan day as I would call it. ;) We went to a yoga class in the park, then to lunch at a place that we passed on the way to yoga. It had tall, beautiful sunflowers in front and garden vegetables. Very inviting. I ordered the tacos for Mia and I to try. One with tempe (whatever that is) and one with jackfruit (another question mark). But they were really good!! Mia even ordered a second tempe taco. They also sold big doughnuts and various pieces of art such as cards and paintings. 

After that lunch we drove to a park to walk around and passed another spot that looked great (for second lunch!) in the middle of a neighborhood. There we split half of a mango poppyseed salad and a baked eggplant sandwich - oh man, so good!! We went back to Mia's apartment and swam for about an hour (and made a friend!) then played with puppies at a pet store that was celebrating a huge turtle's birthday. The employees were even passing out slices of cake!! We met Michael soon after at the Cheesecake Factory. He was such a sweet gem and waited with the restaurant pager for us while we went shopping. Mia bought me a snow-globe type thing to hold a mini Polaroid picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment