Saturday, November 5, 2016

Behind the Mask

   At the end of Full Sail in our last month during Producing class (March 2011, or maybe starting in February if that was also a two month class?), we got a group together and started talking about making a real movie after graduation. We had to get a group together anyway for the project of pitching a movie idea to our teachers, but little did they know that we would go on to actually film the movie which would later be released in select theaters and available at Redbox!! Pretty cool. <— That’s me trying to fake humility, but really I’m all, “Ahhhh!! We are basically famous now!! Whaaaaat!!” I can get so pumped talking about Blood Widow. 

   My job for the class project was to put a display board together with pictures from other creepy movies and pictures of abandoned houses; the art direction kind of stuff, but after half of us (the class of 40-50 students was split into two groups for two different short films) worked on Gruff’s Bridge the two months before that, many of us worked so well together that the director (Jeremy) and his assistant (Rebecca), asked us to work the same crew positions for Blood Widow.. I was very excited because I loved being the 2nd AD (second assistant director) for Gruff’s Bridge, basically being in charge of all the actors, letting them know which scenes they would do the next day and when they needed to be on set. Of course Michael was hired as the special makeup FX artist and Ryan continued working as the UPM (unit production manager, usually the first name at the end of movie credits!). Even three of the “mean girls” in Gruff’s Bridge were in Blood Widow. They are seen in a picture frame hanging on the wall of the abandoned orphanage. Psst- the blonde girl (Tiffany) is Young Blood Widow. Jeremy has talked over the past few years about making a follow up movie with more back story, which sounded really cool. I hope it gets made one day! 

I searched through my previous blog posts and only found these few, mentioning small parts about the movie before with some video links:
October 2011: Blood Widow
February 2012: Stand In Extraordinaire

   Michael was able to rent a warehouse for the first year after we graduated, which was where he did all of his death scene prepping. He made life casts of a couple arms, and faces/heads for the scenes when characters got decapitated. Yikes! He also made foam copies of the weapons that Blood Widow used, keeping both on set. She would use the real knives if she was in a shot by herself and the prop knives and whips for murder scenes with the other characters. I loved working on the whole thing, but was glad I didn’t have to do much “pre-pro”.. Or maybe I did.. It’s been over six years since then, so I don’t remember right now. I know Ryan helped with location scouting. I did not have any pre-pro pictures on my hard drive with all of the Blood Widow stuff, and I already have 60 pictures to post, which is more than enough.
 ^^ very excited that I got to play Blood Widow for a couple shots! the picture below is me too!
   One of my favorite scrapbooks that I have made is the Blood Widow one. I was so excited and determined to finish it quickly after we wrapped that I got it done in one day! Yeah, that was before I got a job, or maybe after I applied to the Sheriff’s Office, not knowing it would take five months to complete the hiring process. I guess 2011 was just a summer full of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment