Friday, January 10, 2014

Orphan Days

   Hello from Birmingham! I want to try to make my posts snappy from now on. 2014 is about not wasting time on the Internet.

Today Michael wanted to go to Peavine Falls and it was a great day to go. Its been around 50 degrees today- much more manageable for my Florida blood than the temperatures of 21 degrees earlier this week! It got really foggy and beautiful as we reached the top of the mountain. We basically drove into a huge white cloud, not being able to see in front of us. The hiking was great too. Michael helped me a lot on the rocks, using the roots as stairs, to be sure I didn't slip. I loved walking by the waterfall and the creek. It was so pretty. I could have stayed there all day. And at many times I wish I had the nice camera, even for all the rain drops on the skinny branches. But Michael did take these wonderful Instagram photos.

   When I got home I made rice and beans on the stove. No cheating microwaves allowed. It's day 10, 11, and 12 of Living like an Orphan- of course in a intensely turned down version. The other days have included taking showers without hot water and only using soap, and drinking tap water. I actually think that eating rice and beans for three days will be much easier than taking a cool shower. I enjoy the steam too much and hot baths have been a great way to keep me warm instead of paying extra for so much heated electricity.
   I did feel like I was cheating a bit with and the chicken flavored rice and pre-seasoned white beans. I might do it for a week instead, but I'll tone it down as the week goes on and by next Friday be eating a very simple meal of white rice and black beans. I'm hoping it will help me get out of the habit of eating Christmas candy after every meal!
   Please see http://love-orphans.org/ for more info.
   Xoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. The water picture is just gorgeous!
    Always feels good to be "home" after a period away. -D

    ReplyDelete