Thursday, November 8, 2012

This is Florida

I remembered going on a field trip a long time ago to visit Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' house. And due to my Amish modes (which randomly began during Full Sail) and wondering how less stressful life would be without "needing" to check text messages and update our Facebook statuses every 10 minutes, and spending more time outside, enjoying nature and actually being around people. So I added MKR Historic State Park to my list of things to do with my mom before Michael and I move. Since the house tours are only some days of the week and not every month of the year, today was the first chance we got!
She did all of her writing on the porch for her non-fiction book "Cross Creek". In 1942 Marjorie wrote "I do not know how any one can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to."
(The two photos below are of her book "The Yearling" in different languages.)
I noticed Marjorie had her initials printed on her brown suitcase as well, in the bedroom.
I find it interesting to see how things have (or have not) changed since "the olden days". Cheese grater looks the same. But I did not know that Cheerios had been around for 60 years! And while looking at my map pamphlet, I just realized we missed looking at/ going into the Tenant's House. Ham chicken distracted us before we left! There were many more photos I took, but didn't want to overwhelm. She lived on a piece of land with citrus groves. Unfortunately her first husband divorced her because he no longer wanted to live there. She did later remarry, but died at only age 57! Our nice tour guide man did admit that it was because she drank heavily, ate too much and smoked a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment