Thursday, February 7, 2013

the Best Things in Life are Free

On Tuesday night, "the best things" were ice cream and movie tickets!!

Dawson told me about a movie fan page where he was able to get free tickets for an early screening of Identity Thief, starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman. I had seen the previews and it is already kind of rare for Michael and I to go to the movies. That was one I could have waited for at Redbox. However, since the tickets were free and I do like those actors, I agreed to go. And the movie doesn't officially come out until tomorrow. Michael decided not to come with us since he didn't want to have to wait for a long time.

The movie started at 7:30pm, but Dawson wanted to get there early to make sure we got a good spot in line. We arrived at six and there were already maybe 50 people waiting. We didn't want to stand around that long, so we browsed the other shops and agreed we would come back and try our luck. I wanted to walk through Ross to see what kind of clothes they had available. I found a lot of striped shirts that I liked, but didn't have any money to spend. Then we walked by all the restaurants and I showed Dawson where we had dinner with Chris on Sunday.

I gave Dawson the option of getting frozen yogurt at either Pinkberry, Yoguartland or Yogurtiers. (I hadn't been to the second and third place, but they were all in the same area.) Dawson decided on Pinkberry and what a great decision it ended up being! Again, I ordered the salted caramel and chocolate hazelnut swirled in a small cone. But the employee said, "If you just get it in a cup its free. Today is National Frozen Yogurt Day." So I replied something like, "Oh, then heck yes, I'll take that. Thank you!" Dawson ordered a small Pomegranate flavor. We got free toppings as well.
Pinkberry was within watching distance from the AMC theater, so when Dawson saw the line of people with free tickets moving into the theater, we rushed over and got in the back of the line, which kind of wrapped around the balcony of the building. The line moved very quickly for a few minutes, until we only had about 20 people in front of us. We waited and the rest of the people who had arrived five minutes after us had to leave since the employees knew they wouldn't have enough seats for everyone. We waited until 7:30pm (they said they wouldn't start the movie until we all got in) and made it! Dawson and I almost got separated, but when he made a worried face, I wondered if the ticket lady assumed we were on a date because she found seats for us together in a nice row. It was towards the front, but not the very front handful of rows. They were comfortable, easily enjoyable seats.
The movie was funny too and I liked it. Plus, the first half of the movie took place in Winter Park, Florida. Of course it looked more like Las Vegas to me, than Winter Park. I did feel sad during the slower points, knowing how often people really do get their identities hacked and all their information and money is taken. Still, I've asked Dawson to be on the look out for more free advanced screenings in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment